Monday, March 5, 2018

Overlanding or car camping, what's the difference?



Overlanding or car camping, what's the difference?

What is it?


Overlanding as defined by Wikipedia is self-reliant overland travel to remote destinations where the journey is the principal goal. Typically, but not exclusively, it is accomplished with mechanized off-road capable transport (from bicycles to trucks) where the principal form of lodging is camping, often lasting for extended lengths of time (months to years) and spanning international boundaries.

For many the term is nothing more than a buzzword on Instagram and a marketing term for companies to advertise their products. To others it’s a movement, a term to bring like-minded people together to do something they enjoy. It is also something to argue about. New groups of people have changed their minds to the meaning; they look at companies, groups, and individuals who are influencing others without input from those without influence. All these terms and definitions really mean shit. What is it? It’s traveling for travel's sake. It doesn’t matter where you sleep or how you get there, it doesn’t matter how long the trip is, or on what surface you’re traveling on. It also doesn’t matter on how much money you spend, well at least it shouldn’t.

Dirtbags in vans, seniors in forty-foot diesel pushers, bicyclists and hikers with tents they are travelers; some embrace the suck, while others are glamping on another level. They are seeking adventure by migrating from one place to another. Some are full time; with no physical home to go back to, others are weekend warriors with limited time off, a high mortgage and enough responsibilities to choke a horse. Let’s get real with our terminologies they are all overlanding and it’s nothing new.

Now I’ve “bike-packed”, adventure moto’d, four-wheeled, Baja’d, glamped, and camped. I love them all, and they all require a little of “embracing the suck.” Although the majority of overlanders are trying to eliminate the suck to a certain degree with on-board refrigerators, photoelectric panels and batteries for power, water heaters, showers, restrooms, the modifications are endless. And so are the arguments and competitions.

Clubs and influence


Since the largest group of these people spend time behind the wheel of four-wheel drive vehicles that can either cost a lot of money to purchase, or an extremely large amount of time and sometimes even more money to build in the garage. Clubs form around platforms and manufacturers, and eventually become identities. Clubs form and competition ensures. Brand x is always better than brand y, and thank the heavens we don’t own and drive brand z.

With specific platforms, style becomes more important and form over function ensures, vehicles get larger, heavier, and not really good. More and more manufacturers get involved, one design is seen by another, copied improved, then readapted to another platform, and every time becomes better. Those who identify with x brand look down at y, z is happy no one is looking to hard at them. It’s happened before. In the late eighties Jeep was king in the United States, while Land Rover conquered continents. At least no one took Suzuki seriously.

Personally I owned a Jeep, a mild built daily driver CJ7. I went to a Jeep club meeting, I didn’t have 36” tires so mine was obviously not a real Jeep. Although  out on the established fire roads it wasn’t any slower. If you were unfortunate enough to own a Suzuki Samurai forget even showing up for coffee at the start. When later the little cars passed them on the rock climbing portions of the trails , they all rest assured Jeeps stood the test of time, and weren’t death traps on wheels. At least since the CJ5 was retired.

But now it’s all about the Instagram credit. Less than a thousand followers you’re not a true outdoorsman. More than three thousand, you’re an actor trying to sell merchandise to pay for vacations. Damn that’s a good idea. A hobby that pays for itself; Just the dream of every garage band across the globe. I wonder if someone can become an influencer if they dedicate their social platform to making fun of other influencers? It would have to be on Instagram, everyone knows it’s better than Twitter, but thank the heavens it’s not Google plus.

Embrace and learn


I’m a gear-head, I love attending expos and car shows, meet-ups, and generally just talking about all the different forms and modifications one can do to a truck. I went to an off road expo in Anaheim California a few years ago. I was looking at this really well put together buggy purpose built for rock climbing. This thing was a amazing, 40” tires, 20” ground clearance, and 500 hp. It was a beast of a machine, it could tear up some major hills. That’s awesome. However it’s loud, unable to carry anything other than one additional passenger and has to be trailered to the trail. Oh and it cost $100,000!

I was standing there in awe of the machine I was looking at when someone standing next to me had to say “my truck could out bog this monstrosity any day” I couldn’t stop myself, “what kind of truck do you drive?” “I’ve got an 88 ford converted to a 2.5 ton with 66” by 44” mudders, pushing out close to 600hp.” Oh lord. I walked back to my primary adventure machine. An all wheel drive Kia Sportage. To be fair it’s my daily driver, vacation car, and yes-overlanding platform.

The point is a simple one. Purpose built is expensive, and not very good for anything other than its purpose. Simple is better in a lot of areas in life. Off-roading is definitely one of them. I’ve always been a weight counter; my philosophy has always been to keep my gear and vehicle as light as possible. Better for the truck and better for the pocket book.

The problem arises when you meet those people who feel their way and preference is the only way. When you wheel a stock truck and run into someone who is only into running dunes. It always becomes a roast fest. Why is that?

I think it has more to do with passion than anything else. We are all passionate about our trucks, how they look, what they are capable of… but they are just trucks. You will never have the biggest, fastest, or toughest, because as soon as someone builds the biggest, fastest, toughest, someone else will build one bigger, faster, and tougher. So really the argument is a false one.

Opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.


We live in a time where everyone’s voice is just as important as everyone else’s. We comment, argue, and debate on a global scale. The Internet makes this possible and we take advantage of it daily. What I find interesting is that many comments out there are completely based on the authors’ opinions, regardless of the facts. So many times people make assumptions based on their perception and nothing else.

Case in point, there is a group called Overlandbound, Michael and Corrie Murguia started it. The group started on Instagram, made their own site, now has software that can be used by its members to create meet-ups they call Rally Point, and it quickly grew to over 10,000 members. You can sign up for free to be part of the group, or pay to receive an emblem to put of your truck. That is a lot of people all interested in the same thing. Just so everyone is aware, I’m also a member of this group. Member number 1699. My thoughts about them are based on what I’ve learned, seen, and heard, cause believe it or not, last year I had a chance to sit down and talk with Michael and Corrie, as well as some members of the group. Oh and by the way, they are amazing people regardless of what people say.

Why is this important? Recently I’ve seen a lot of Instagram accounts, Facebook posts that take Overlandbound to task. I’ve asked a couple of the administrators of those sites why, most of the time I never received a reply, but eventually someone did…

@kingazjay; “I’m curious what’s the beef with Overlandbound? I’ve seen a few people with a lot to say about them, but no one gives any specifics.”

@overland_memes; “Ah glad you ask. A lot of people have petty beef with him. As simple as: he observed a trend and he’s not really that much of an outdoorsman just a businessman exploiting a trend for profit. For me its more philosophical (I guess you’d say): 1) not a fan of paying to be part of something - just find good friends. 2) there are some attitudes I’ve observed from OB crowd. For example the following can be pretty cult like. 3) I have some concerns over the “Overland Principles of overlanding” ...the list goes on.”

That’s the only message I’ve received back, and it is eye opening. Like I’ve said above, the movement of overlanding is kinda humorous to start with. It’s traveling. Hiking, biking, car, truck, RV it’s all the same. However, some think they are the purest because XYZ. They may have a Toyota kitted out with $50k in gear and can live ‘off the grid’ for three weeks on end. That's cool, I’ve done that in a VW baja that cost me $1000 with $100 of K-Mart gear, but we called it car camping. So the cult like following is just people excited and passionate about what they do. We all do that, and hey, if you can make money on something you’re passionate about, that’s just every entrepreneurs dream.

Now for the principles…

A lot of people have issues with the saying “It doesn’t matter what you drive” Many miss the second half of that. “It does matter how you drive it and where. Outfit and explore” I started out in a Jeep, then had a VW Baja, a couple of KLR’s, a slew of Jeep Cherokees, then a two wheel drive blazer, a couple of trucks, then a Kia soul, and now a Kia  Sportage. I live off the pavement some 30 miles. I’ve seen built trucks mired in the mud same as minivans. It doesn’t matter what you drive, I’ve been through snow, mud, and deep sand. It does matter how you drive it, and how it’s outfitted. It takes skill and an understanding how capable your vehicle is. I won’t take my Kia Soul to slick rock in Moab UT, but I would take it on any fire road in North America, and I have. All terrain tires, max tracks, shovel, and a come-along can get that light weight car as far as you want to go. What was the first overlanding vehicle in America? The Ford model T with bicycle tires, and two-wheel drive, let that sink in.

Overlanding or car camping is about getting outside, exploring, and spending time with people you like. It is not elitist and it doesn’t matter how you go about the activity. It also doesn't matter how long you’re out on the road or trail. You can be a weekend warrior, or full-time world traveler. If you can make money doing it, wow, congratulations you’re doing what everyone wants to do…. Something you’re passionate about and making a living doing it. Believe it or not, you can do it without posting on Instagram, and putting others down doesn’t make your truck or trip any better, it makes you look like an ass.

I’ll be attending Overland Expo West again this year. I’m excited to see what others have come up with, and see what would make my truck better. I’m interested to hear about others trips, and what went wrong or right. I enjoy this hobby and like talking about it. I also like to Instagram it… don’t judge me.

Want more information?

Learning to embrace the suck...


What does ultra-trail-running have to do with overloading? Simple, people running 100 plus miles non-stop to prove to themselves and others that not only is it possible, but some enjoy it. To me it reminds me that we have really gotten soft, take what this person said in this short film, at 10:30 or so... 

I like what he says "Somewhere along the way comfort became the key to happiness" That is really sad when you think about it, and kinda relates to my underlining theme... "embrace the suck!"

Here are the principles of Overlanding…


Overland Expo West


Overland Bound


Some well known overlanders/travelers


No comments:

Life update.