Wednesday, July 31, 2019

A word on prayer

I'm going through some old storage and found a couple of things I had written for other sites years ago, and thought I would repost them here. There are a couple posts in this series, and I will post them in sequence every Wednesday morning. Who knows they might just start a conversation...

How is your prayer life?

The focus and purpose of this paper is to give a refreshing look at prayer and its practical use in every day life. Now I know there are plenty of books, papers, and sermons on this subject. However in this paper I want to focus on some issues that are heavy on my heart. I figure if there is at least one other person out there like me then, this paper would be worth writing. I would like to start with the Lords outline for prayer. The main scripture will be from Matthew. What is so commonly called The Lords Prayer. This is an unfortunate title, a better title; fitting the context better, would be, The Model Prayer. Let's take a quick look at our text...

Mathew 6

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.11 Give us this day our daily bread.12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil: For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

My prayer life consists of the ebb and flow system. You know a few days of intense heart felt prayer followed by weeks of no activity. I try to pray. Life always seems to get in the way though. And when it doesn't, I get embarrassed. I'm a very shy person by nature. One of the reasons why my prayer life is not were it should be is I never know what to say, or how to say it.

Now it is my understanding that this is just an example on how to pray and was not to be a Prayer that was to be repeated religiously. Too often I hear pastors teaching that this is a prayer that needs to be repeated on a regular basis. I feel that does not fit in context of the scripture. Instead Jesus was teaching his disciples a format for prayer. A format that is not bound to any set of words, but rather a format for prayer in general.

9 After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name.

First part of this format was to hold the Lord's name in high regard. While it is true, we can come to the Lord with such intimacy as to say daddy, when we pray we are to express reverence for the name of God. We need to state in our prayers, that the Lord we are addressing is not only the Lord of heaven, but of all creation. Remember when you pray Exodus 20:7 Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

In other words, whenever we use the Lord's name, whether we are praying, or just sharing the Word of God, we need to do so with his majesty in mind. Here is a word of caution to those who call themselves Christians and who do not live their lives for Christ. For the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain. Do not be deceived, this is taking the Lord's name in vain! To call yourself a Christian is to take the Lord's name! Not living a Godly life is taking it in vain!

10 Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven.


We are to be anticipating the Lord's return, and praying for it! At the Triumphant Entry, Jesus wept over Jerusalem because “you do not know the time of your visitation.” We are supposed to be looking toward His return; we do that by diligently praying for it. We are also to align our will with His, because this is one of the top most reasons of prayer! We need to align our will with his, every day, and in every situation. We need to let Christ rule our hearts and lives. We can not do this unless we are praying!

11 Give us this day our daily bread.

The Lord promised to meet all our needs. We just need to make sure we know what they are. I need a job to care for my family. I need transportation to get to that job. I do not need a $60,000 Mercedes to do it! These are needs as much as food and clothing. To meet these needs the Lord might give you something as simple as a bicycle. Don't think that because you didn't get the results you wanted that the need wasn't met! When we pray, we need to be specific, we also need to be aware that the answer may not be what we are looking for; but rather what will teach us the most. If you need to learn humility, you may need to learn how to ride a bike!

12 And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

Wow! You want forgiveness; you better learn how to forgive! And you better learn to ask and forgive daily. I sin every day. I try also to ask for forgiveness when I do. I've noticed that when I forget to ask for forgiveness, something will happen, where I need to forgive someone else, it never fails; I'll pray "Lord, why did this person do this! Why won't you punish them?" The answer I get... "Because, then I'll have to punish you." Whoa there. Let's rethink this, salvation comes through Gods grace, what better example of Christ's love than a Christian showing forgiveness for others. Our forgiveness becomes a foreshadowing of Christ's. Now I know I am in no way anything like Christ. However, as a self-described follower of Christ, I need to live a life as closely simulating Christ as I can, followers of Christ need to be Christ like. Don't forget, we can not take His name in vain!

13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil:

God does not lead us to temptation, but we need to ask daily for strength to overcome all temptation. We need to remember that only through prayer can we have enough strength to keep ourselves from sinning. As in Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me. We need to pray daily, for this strength. Only through prayer can the Holy Spirit, fulfill our needs. Remember also John 15:5 for without Me you can do nothing.


...For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.

Prayer is not only a catalyst for aligning our wills with the Lord's, but it is also the main source of understanding of the word of God. We need to also remember that our complete understanding of scripture comes from the Holy Spirit, and the Holy Spirit can only come into us, through heartfelt prayer. We need to keep in mind as we pray that the Lord will come back, and He will set up His kingdom. Also remember that the Lord's power, and glory is also everlasting, and we need to acknowledge the Lord's attributes when we prey!

So there is my outline of prayer. Next article in this series will be how to relate this outline into our daily lives.

No comments:

Life update.